Work with Bluestone
Join a company that values you. Picture a dynamic work environment with tight-knit teams and abundant learning opportunities.
Legal and Compliance Lead
Bluestone is a fast-growing lender specialising in residential home loans. We have a team of over 200 professionals across Australia, New Zealand and the Philippines. We help people with a variety of financial needs, whether they are looking to refinance, purchase homes or invest in residential property.When it comes to our team, we place equal importance on personal qualities and technical ability, and provide continuous learning opportunities to help our people make their ambitions reality. With smaller teams and a flat structure, it’s easy to fit in with our close-knit gang from the first day. Our values reflect how we think, act and build trust with our colleagues and customers. Above all, we value transparency, ownership, enterprise, commitment and collaboration. These principles allow us to thrive as a team and support others in their journeys to grow and develop.
So, why would you want to work for us?
- Ace your work-life balance with WFH options
- An awesome office in the city
- Lots of social events to get involved in remotely
- Fortnightly CEO Update with team drinks
- Gym membership discounts
- Great people to work with and learn from every day
- Modern technology & resources to use
- Great training options to further your career & development
- Monthly massages… when COVID allows
- Paid parental leave
- Study Assistance
About the role:
In this newly created role based in Auckland, the Legal & Compliance Lead will be the key legal advisor for NZ and manage the regulatory and legal environment in New Zealand including legislation, standards, codes and internal policies.
The Legal & Compliance Lead will manage and improve the existing framework to undertake compliance monitoring, and assist the business to understand all relevant areas of risk and compliance; considering legislation, regulations, standards, codes and internal policies.
- Assisting in contractual and legal document review, negotiation and advice. You will investigate, assess and recommend remedial action on routine or technical breaches and any incidents. In addition, you will review marketing material and new products / initiatives for legal and compliance impact and risks
- Assisting in the writing of Board papers and reports and providing secretariat support to the Regulatory & Compliance Committee and assisting and collaborating with AU teams regarding meeting packs and minutes.
- AML/CFT program compliance for NZ (including policy training and reporting to DIA).
- Reporting and liaising with NZ corporate and financial services regulators such as Commerce Commission, NZ Companies Office, Department of Internal Affairs etc. and attend to other relevant regulatory reporting as necessary
- As part of continuous improvement, you will draft, review, update and implement policies, procedures and practices with the aim of embedding best practice compliance elements into the organisation.
- Maintaining regulatory, policy and governance knowledge base to ensure appropriate advice and guidance is provided at all times to the business, along with developing and delivering compliance training to upskill our team.
- Keeping up to date with legal and regulatory changes, you will scan the media, publications, attend events and obtain information from other sources in order to detect developments in the law, the regulatory environment and the industry that will or may affect the business; and assist the business to implement any changes
- Provide advice to the business units on the design and implementation of their 1st line defence program, and overseeing and/or conducting 2nd line defence compliance reviews of business units, you will work with colleagues to ensure compliance with policy and procedures.
You'll walk in the door with
- Demonstrable experience in a legal and/or compliance role preferably in a consumer finance environment
- Admitted to practice law in New Zealand
- Solid knowledge of consumer lending including CCCFA, internal and external dispute resolution as well as AML-CFT laws
- Good communication and negotiation skills with an ability to build rapport with internal and external stakeholders
- Good analytical, assessment and problem solving skills
- Strong commitment to engaging in continual development and self-directed learning
Apply Now With Your CV
Our Current Opportunities
Attention recruiters: We have a Preferred Supplier Agreement (PSA) in place for our open roles, so we ask that agencies outside of this agreement do not submit any applications.